Posts for: October, 2021
How to Keep Kids Safe When Biking
There are a few ways that your pediatrician recommends for teaching bicycle safety to your children:
- Help your kids stay visible to drivers: There are a few factors that can cause a driver not to view your child on a road, aside from texting while driving. Children are usually lower in a driver's sightlines, and they are also vying for a driver’s attention among many other road distractions such as traffic signals, construction, and more. By clothing your children in bright colors, or even having them wear a brightly colored safety vest while riding, you can call a driver’s attention to their presence, thus avoiding an accident. Also, be sure that your child’s bike has reflectors on the rear and front of the pedals and possibly on the seat and handlebars.
- Encourage your child to wear a bike helmet. Helmets can protect the brain and reduce head injuries should they accidentally be hit by a driver. A properly fitting helmet should be buckled under the chin, and shouldn’t wiggle more than an inch when worn.
- Teach your kids to be proactive cyclists. When riding, teach your children to watch out for parked cars that might open their doors, road hazards, common traffic flows, and rules that motorists usually follow. This can be a precursor to their learning to drive and will equip them with a sense of what drivers are most likely to do so that they can act accordingly while bicycling.
When your child is sick, you want to make sure you give them the best care and treatment as soon as possible. Being able to visit a same-day appointment pediatrician in Edison, South Plainfield, Perth Amboy, Woodbridge, NJ, is essential to help your child get treated. The pediatricians at 7 Days Pediatrics understand the importance of early treatment for illnesses and are prepared to help take care of your child.
What to Do When Your Child is Sick
Except for a true emergency, you should take your child to their pediatrician for treatment when feeling sick. Your child's pediatrician knows them the best and can adequately care for their symptoms based on past medical history. Plus, visiting your child's pediatrician takes less time and costs less than visiting an urgent care clinic or emergency room.
Illnesses Needing Same-Day Appointments
Several illnesses and ailments require your child to have a same-day appointment pediatrician in Edison, South Plainfield, Perth Amboy, Woodbridge, NJ. Call your pediatrician and request a same-day appointment if your child is experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Has a temperature higher than 100.4 degrees and is under the age of two months
- Has a fever for more than two days and is older than the age of two months
- Has a fever of 104 degrees
- Is complaining about localized abdominal pain
- Has symptoms for strep throat, flu, or other severe illnesses
- Has experienced a bad cough for two days
Benefits to Same-Day Appointments
There are many benefits to both the child and parents when having a same-day appointment with a pediatrician. The main advantage is your child will start healing and feeling better sooner and will feel more comfortable. Additionally, same-day appointments offer parents peace of mind and less worry from waiting to get their children the medical help they need.
Are you looking for a same-day appointment pediatrician serving the Edison, South Plainfield, Perth Amboy, Woodbridge, NJ areas? Give us a call today at (732) 548-3210. Our doctors at 7 Days Pediatrics understand the need to get in to see a doctor when your child is sick on the same day.
The medical team at 7 Days Pediatrics provides the best pediatricians to care for your children in Edison and South Plainfield, NJ, while also serving the areas of Perth Amboy and Woodbridge, NJ.
What Is a Pediatrician?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) defines a pediatrician as a doctor who specializes in the health and illnesses of children. They work with children from birth to adolescence, possibly into their young adult years. Most pediatricians are certified by the American Board of Pediatrics after the examination. It's best to find a pediatrician that is board certified as a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, (FAAP) showing these letters at the end of their name. The AAP states that pediatricians have met the highest level of membership as FAAP. To find the best pediatrician in Edison and South Plainfield, NJ, while also serving the areas of Perth Amboy and Woodbridge, NJ, 7 Days Pediatrics has some of the best pediatricians, due to their board certifications.
How To Choose A Pediatrician?
In addition to inquiring about the pediatrician's education and certifications, there are other factors to think about when choosing the best doctor for your child.
- The doctor's hospital affiliation and appointments - Find out what hospital the doctor is connected with if your child needs to be hospitalized. Also, if your child is hospitalized, when is the doctor available to see your child?
- The logistics of the office - It's important to find a pediatrician that has a convenient location, office hours, and access to public transportation. Find out if they offer weekend and evening hours as well. 7 Days Pediatrics in Edison and South Plainfield, NJ, while also serving the areas of Perth Amboy and Woodbridge, NJ, is open 7 days a week with evening hours on some days to meet your scheduling needs.
- The doctor shows care for your child - Make sure the doctor shows a genuine interest in your child's needs and concerns. In addition to the doctor's care, are the office staff also courteous and friendly? Also, do you feel rushed to complete the appointment, or is the staff patient with your needs?
- Understand how the doctor treats acute and complex illnesses - Make sure the doctor also explains medical issues and procedures clearly for your understanding and relief. Is there availability to treat acute illnesses immediately and does the doctor work with other specialists to treat complex illnesses?
- The process for billing and other documents is clear - It's important to find out what insurance companies the doctor is affiliated with, as well as forms and fees associated with care.
To find the best pediatrician, call 7 Days Pediatrics at (732) 548-3210 for our Edison and South Plainfield, NJ, offices that also serve the areas of Perth Amboy and Woodbridge, NJ
Reasons Why Some Children Struggle With Potty Training
Most children after the age of 18 months or so should have little trouble acclimating to potty training. But if your child is struggling, and you aren't sure why there are many potential reasons. Let's take a look at a few of the most common causes of potty training difficulties with children:
- Their Bodies are Just Not Ready — Before 18 months, your child may not have the ability to control when they "go." So putting pressure on them too early may just frustrate them.
- They May Not Have the Developmental Abilities — Some children just progress slower than others and may need more time in a diaper before they're ready to potty train.
- The Idea of Potty Training is Boring or Scary — Many children find potty training boring or even scary and may struggle to get used to the idea of "going" outside their diaper.
- Fear of Accidents May Develop Early — Your child wants to make you happy, and if they have accidents or fear them, they might struggle with potty training.
- Assess while your child is struggling
- Talk with the child to understand their concerns
- Find a solution that makes sense for them
- Work with you and your child to get great results
- Adjust their care methods, as they need
If you think you need help getting your child to use the potty, it might be time to reach out to a professional you can trust to help. A great pediatrician and medical team can provide you and your child with a better understanding of why they don't want to use the potty. And it can also take some of the load off your back as a parent. Frankly, you deserve some rest and relaxation.