Posts for tag: Preventive Care
What is a wellness visit?
While you should bring your child into the doctor’s office when they are sick, this isn’t the only time that they should be visiting a pediatrician. Regular wellness visits allow your child’s doctor to continue to monitor their health and development throughout their childhood and teen years. A wellness or well-child visit typically involves:
- Recording your child’s height and weight
- Providing a detailed medical history of your child
- Checking vital signs
- Hearing and vision screenings (depending on the age)
- A full physical examination (painless and non-invasive)
- Additional testing or blood work, if necessary
- Vaccinations, as needed
- Answer any questions that the parent may have about their child’s health and provide information and advice on ways to keep your child healthy
Furthermore, children will need to go through a series of vaccines during the first few years of life. Vaccines are one of the best ways to protect your child from serious and potentially life-threatening diseases such as polio. By keeping up with your child’s wellness and vaccine schedule you ensure that you are providing your child with everything that they need to stay healthy.
Why are wellness visits so important?
As you can probably assume already, these checkups are the best way to prevent health problems from happening in the first place (which we can all agree is so much better than just treating the problem once it comes along). Other benefits of wellness visits include:
- Providing parents with support, peace of mind, and advice regarding everything from sleep schedules and diet to medications and behavioral concerns.
- Catch problems early on, whether physical, mental or behavioral, when they can easily be managed and treated through simpler and less invasive treatment options
- Having a doctor that becomes an important part of your family; someone you can trust and rely on to always be there for your child. After all, knowing that you have a doctor that you can turn to in an emergency is invaluable.
How your Perth Amboy area pediatricians can keep your child in the best health possible
Preventing diseases before they start is critical to helping people live longer, healthier lives, especially when it comes to children. Here at 7 Days Pediatrics in Edision, NJ, our team of pediatricians offers a full range of services to patients, including those living in Perth Amboy and the surrounding areas.
Wellness Visits - This type of healthcare visit goes by a lot of names, but it's essentially your child's annual exam. The doctor checks your child's height, weight, heart rate, and blood pressure. Think of this as your child's general maintenance check, and make it a priority.
Screen for Diseases - Health screening tests play a major role in preventive medicine and are an important part of well-child visits. Even before any risks are identified and symptoms are recognized, health screening tests help to detect diseases in their early stages. Many illnesses are highly treatable when detected early.
Prevent Health Problems - Well-child visits allow your child's doctor to review any changes that have occurred over the last year and encourage healthy choices. Your child's doctor can help you identify risk factors that increase your child's risk of diseases and offer advice on how to manage them.
Update Vaccinations - Today, vaccine-preventable diseases, such as measles, mumps, and whooping cough, are still a threat. It is very important for all children to receive recommended vaccinations to protect them against serious, preventable illnesses. Vaccination protects your children from getting sick. It also protects them from the complications of diseases which can include amputation of an arm or leg, hearing loss, paralysis of limbs brain damage, and death.
It’s time to take action! If you're looking for a qualified pediatrician in the Perth Amboy area, call 7 Days Pediatrics at 732-548-3210 right now to schedule a consultation with one of our world-class pediatricians in Edison, NJ.