Worried that your child’s daydreaming and lack of focus could actually be ADHD?
Hyperactivity and trouble staying focused can be telltale signs of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in your child. If you suspect that your little one might have ADHD, it’s important that you turn to our Edison and South Plainfield, NJ, pediatricians as soon as possible for an evaluation. But first, it’s important to know what behaviors and patterns to look for first. Does your child,
- Have trouble listening to instructions or paying attention in class?
- Make careless mistakes?
- Often have trouble staying focused or on task?
- Often jump from one thing to the next but never completes anything?
- Have trouble staying organized?
- Frequently lose items like toys, homework, or books?
- Often seem like they are daydreaming or not listening?
- Seem easily distracted?
If you said “yes” to several of these statements, then your child may be displaying one of the classic signs of ADHD: inattentiveness.
Some children with ADHD may also display symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Here are some additional questions to consider. Does your child,
- Have trouble sitting still?
- Often squirm around in their seat or fidget?
- Talk excessively or interrupt others?
- Have trouble staying quiet or joining in on quiet activities?
- Have trouble waiting their turn?
- Blurt out answers in class without waiting to be called on?
It’s important to recognize that these behaviors should be present in all environments, not just at home or at school. These behaviors may also affect your child’s relationships and ability to socialize. If you have been noticing these issues for a few months, then it might be time to have your child evaluated for ADHD by one of our children’s doctors in Edison or South Plainfield, NJ.
If your child does have ADHD, it’s important that they get treated as soon as possible, so that we can help them better manage their symptoms and improve both their home and school life. After all, children don’t outgrow ADHD, but by getting them the therapy and medication they need early on, we can make it easy for them to grow up and adjust well to any environment.
If your child is falling behind in school or you’re having trouble with your child at home because of any of the behavioral issues above then it’s time to call (732) 538-3210 to schedule an ADHD screening at 7 Days Pediatrics in Edison, NJ, or South Plainfield, NJ.